"Our plan was to have my mom care for our son a couple days a week at her home. When she became ill and ended up at Good Shepherd Home, we felt blessed that she was able to spend time with him at the Children's Center. She looked forward to seeing and interacting with him every day. Their time together was priceless." Viki D.
Our Children's Center opened in 1986 as a fully licensed preschool to serve employees and area families. Today, the center cares for infants, toddlers and preschool children from area communities. The heart of the Center is an early childhood development program. We also provide before/after school care as well as school-aged summer care at Rock Ledge Elementary School.
One very unique aspect of our Center is the opportunity for intergenerational activities. Children overcome fears about their elders and disabilities and the elders benefit from the energy and creativity of the youngsters.
- Hours/Days: Monday through Friday 6:00am to 6:00pm.
- Licensed for 34 children.
- Located in Rock Ledge Intermediate School.
- Structured and unstructured activities.
Summer Program & Before & After School Programs.
- Ages: Kindergarten through 12 years of age.
- Summer Program….close to baseball diamonds, aquatic center and Rock Ledge Summer school courses.
- School-aged programs…children can walk to and from class.
- Collaborating partner with the Seymour School District for 4-k programming.
- Morning and Afternoon Classes available.
- Dept. of Public Instruction licensed 4-K teachers.
- Small classroom sizes.
- Bussing available for families who live within the Seymour School District bussing locations.
- Wrap around child care available at an affordable rate.
- Field trips.
- Make learning fun.
- Loving staffing.
- Keeps in mind the developmental level of each child.
- Works towards reaching developmental milestones such as rolling over, crawling, walking, language development, self-help skills.
- Communicate with parents daily.
Two Year Old-4 Year Old Preschool/Child Care
Working on all areas of development:
- Health & Physical Dev.
- Social & Emotional Dev.
- Language & Communication Dev.
- Approaches to Learning.
- Cognition and General Knowledge.
- Large outdoor play ground.
- Meet or exceed State licensing qualifications for child care providers.
- CPR certified.
- Certified in SIDS and Shaken Baby Syndrome.
- Trained in recognition of child abuse and neglect.
Activities with the residents of Good Shepherd Nursing Home.
In today’s fast paced world with electronic communication, we often forget the importance of personal interaction. Who gets lost in our high tech society but the very young and the elderly. A text message or e-mail cannot replace the health benefits that come from a smile and spending quality time together. Across the Country, there is an increasing awareness as to the benefits of combining youth and the elderly in activities and programming. Children learn tolerance and compassion for people with disabilities and the elderly. The elderly feel loved and needed. Studies have shown that intergenerational programming increases the cognitive abilities and health of both generations. An environment that combines both youth and the elderly creates a family-like atmosphere that allows for personal interaction and a sense of caring, trust and sharing of knowledge. Ask your child care or elderly care provider what they do for.
- Licensed to serve 162 children from 6 weeks to 10 years of age.
- Hours/Days: Mon-Fri 5:45am to 6:30pm (closed major holidays). Open year round
For more information, contact: Tina Schmidt